Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

"chapeau d'entrecote" ,trevisa and barba de frati

before the summer , I was at my favorite swiss butcher ,  boucherie du molard in Geneva ,
looking for an interesting cut of beef to cook outside on the "plancha". I thought the name of the cut :
a sirloin's hat was irresistible and the butcher told me it was very good...It also reminded me of a cut I had in Argentina : matambre.
Anyhow now it's freezing , I dont have a fireplace to roast the meat , but  I decided to cook it on the stove, and by luck I found at the market trevisa ( an italian red chicory ) and barba de frati (monk's beard ) also called agretti or salsola soda which will be perfect easy vegetables to serve with my meat.



first prepare the vegetables.
cut the trevisa in two , scatter on top some chopped pine nuts salt and pepper , drizzle with olive oil,
place in a heated oven ( 180° ) for about half an hour.







When I go to Italy I love the different types of greens they serve in restaurants...Here in Switzerland we are lucky to find some of them..Barba de frati being one of my favorites I was very excited to cook it...Actually I did it the simple way , once cleaned drop them in boiling salted water , cook al dente , drain , drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.





heat the pan with a dash of olive oil , when very hot drop the meat and some rosemary , once you turn it scatter on top coarse salt and pepper to taste.






Simple , healthy , and scrumptious !

 tuck in!!



1 comment: